Saturday, May 7, 2016

Eden On The River (musical)

Not your daughter's Aaron Burr.
This week the Tony Award nominations were announced, and Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton received an unprecedented sixteen nominations, including a record seven nominations for individual performances from a single production.

The man himself received a nod for Best Performance by an Actor for a Lead Role in a Musical for the eponymous character, but so did his co-star Leslie Odom Jr. for the inimitable role of Aaron Burr. Historical precedent notwithstanding, I am sure their conflict will be handled with grace and mutual celebration.

Prior to its introduction at the Public Theatre a year ago, the average American who knew anything about Alexander Hamilton probably knew two things; he was the first Secretary of the Treasury and that he was shot in a duel with Aaron Burr. Most probably only knew that second part.

Miranda’s decision to make Aaron Burr the near-omniscient narrator of this production was brilliant, echoing the use of Judas Iscariot as the audience’s confidente and co-conspirator in Jesus Christ Superstar. By the end of the evening, it is as though we know more about the mercurial Burr than we do the fallen angel Hamilton.

The playwright is far too kind to his antagonist, however, depicting a Burr who in the moment of his greatest error expressing instant regret and immediately reflecting upon his haunted future. The historical Aaron Burr returned across the Hudson after mortally wounding his foe, had a good meal and received appointed visitors without once mentioning what he’d just done.

As performed by Leslie Odom Jr., Hamilton’s Burr is not only sympathetic, but attractive with a voice attributable to the heavens. And the historical Burr lived, and his remaining years were adventurous. Perhaps there is a sequel in the works, even now, a musical about the wilderness years of former Vice President Aaron Burr.

Only it’s already been done.

Blennerhassett Mansion
Over forty years ago, John H. Lee of Parkersburg, WV wrote a one-act play called Conclave, which was later expanded in 1974 into a three-hour musical called Eden of the River, in collaboration with Joyce Ancrile and Genevieve Greene (lyrics and music, respectively.) The subject was primarily the personages of Harman and Margaret Blennerhassett, Irish immigrants of some personal fortune who spent their way west until settling at the very edge of European civilization on the island which now bears their name. Blennerhassett Island sits in the Ohio River between present day Parkersburg and Marietta, Ohio.

They had built a charming little mansion and began a farm and entertained dignitaries from far and wide and were by all reports very delightful hosts whose ability to burn through cash was rivaled by their failure in agriculture. An unremarkable American story. Except for the arrival of one very special guest..

Aaron Burr, sir.

The plan was to raise men and funds and head south to drive Spain out of Mexico. The question was whether he intended to join war with Spain when declared by Jefferson, or if he was planning to raise his own army for the purpose of seizing Mexico for himself. Harman Blennerhassett was persuaded to invest in the great man’s venture, and for his troubles was eventually imprisoned and his lands confiscated for joining what was branded a conspiracy.

Blennerhassett was almost ruined. Burr was acquitted, spent some time in Europe, and returned to New York City to quietly practice law, dying at the age of 80.

The Aaron Burr of Eden of the River is a seductive populist, as comfortable throwing back moonshine with western Virginian settlers as he is receiving Blennerhassett guests like the young Senator Henry Clay; the script includes reference to many historical figures who actually visited Blennerhassett Island. In fact, one of the supporting players is Burr’s eldest daughter, dear Theodosia.

Program, 1989.
The most salacious plot point in the play is the suggestion that in attempting to seduce Harman, Burr also made a play for this wife, Margaret. One, single cabin survives from the Blennerhassett era and someone once found the initials “AB+MB” scratched into the warped, almost two century old glass, giving rise to a legend of extra-marital behavior.

Of course, absolutely anyone could have made that inscription over the years.

Eden On The River was modeled after other outdoor historical dramas like Trumpet In The Land and Tecumseh! However, where the production lacked horses and flaming arrows, it did feature live, wandering peacocks and the quaintly majestic backdrop of a reconstructed Blennerhassett Mansion.

Yes, for four summers 1987-1990, Eden was presented on the isle where it happened. I was a member of the chorus (and also Henry Clay, who has one line) for the second and third seasons. The first two years the production able to use the mansion itself as “backstage.” It was still in the process of construction, the floors were bare and the walls naked sheetrock.

Apparently some company members were less than professional with the space, and by the third season we were exiled to a number of air conditioned trailers behind the building. 1989 was a very wet summer, the mosquitoes were rampant but most company members preferred to sit outdoors rather than in the trailers, which were rendered funky and uninhabitable almost immediately.

I was bitten so many times I developed an allergic reaction, creating rash from my right knee all the way up to my crotch, for which I required antibiotics. You’re welcome.

But why was this outdoor musical mothballed after four years? Why is Eden not celebrating its thirtieth season on the river this summer? Once upon a time I might have suggested it was because it’s not very good, but upon further reflection and enjoying a twenty-six year old VHS cassette, I have come to the conclusion that that is simply not the case. It’s no Hamilton, but what is? There are several songs which are much better than I had recalled, and it does have high, historical spirit.


It is a bit too long. Originally staged for the island by Ohio University professor Bob Winters, Bob judiciously cut the three-and-one-half hour long event down to a much more manageable two and a half hours, but after two seasons he retired himself from the production, and the third season it was re-staged by creator John Lee … who promptly restored several songs adding almost another half-hour.

And as I said, Eden didn’t have any fights or exotic animals or any Christian themes or racist native American stereotypes, elements which appear to be necessary for the perpetuation of a destination outdoor musical. Just some attractive turn of the nineteenth century, lots of young dancers from the local colleges, and starring some fine, classically trained voices; veterans from opera companies in Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York City, and beyond. Perhaps folks just want their outdoor drama less genteel, more rugged, and with fewer mosquitoes.

Update:  Leslie Odom Jr. won a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical for his role as Aaron Burr in "Hamilton".

27 comments:

  1. I was in Eden on the River during the 1989 season. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sonya! It was a remarkable production, and one I recall every time we drive OH-50 over the island on the new (newish) Blennerhassett Bridge.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for posting about Eden!
      Laura,
      daughter of Judy Greene
      San Diego, CA

      Delete
  2. My husband did several seasons as Harman, firstbour daughter, then our son played Gampy. I truly loved that musical. Memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my mother (Judy) could read your your comment, she'd be so happy to know all these years later you and your family love Eden, and still enjoy the memories.

      Delete
  3. I'm Laura, the daughter of Genevieve "Judy" Greene, Eden's composer. I'm delighted to see your blog and additional responses above! The video clip brought back wonderful memories. Actually, Eden did continue for several more years, into the 1990s, but the productions had to take place off of the island, at the Smoot Theater in Parkersburg. And far from being mothballed, the many scores sit in my home in California, along with many of John Lee's scripts. I walk past them routinely, and hear the productions in my head. I can even see in my mind's eye my mother sitting at her piano in the 1970s, her music emerging from her mind to her fingertips as they flew over the keys. I also have many of her cassette tapes of the music, which I've also had professionally digitized to preserve the music. I've also had several of the VHS tapes of the performances professionally digitized, limited somewhat by the graininess of earlier technology. Eden awaits opportunity, even if only via a piano or orchestra playing its music once again, or lovely voices giving life to Joyce's lyrics to Genevieve's music.
    "Eden on the River" was the culmination of the work of not just the trio who wrote it, but the actors, singers, dancers, crew, costumers, set designers, musicians, townspeople, audiences - literally hundreds and hundreds of people, all dedicated to making the musical about Burr and Blennerhassett come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura! I think notification of comments on my blog go the spam folder, so I am only seeing this now. Thanks for the details, it was such a big show and I have many fond memories of participating. Thanks for checking in!

      Delete
    2. Hello, Laura! Please email me if you would at heatheruth@gmail.com. I would love to discuss the possibility of getting digitized copies of your vhs tapes for our family’s archive. My dad played Harmann for years, my first theatrical role was Gampy at age 7, and my whole family were all players together one summer! That musical is an absolute treasure, and one of the greatest parts of our family’s young life together!

      Delete
  4. Laura,I saw a production of "Eden on the River" performed by OVST( I think) in Athens, Ohio when I was a child. Does a soundtrack exist? I especially recall a song about Theodosia Burr Alston, with the lyric , "Red shoes are too pretty to rot at the bottom of the sea."
    Ms Kelley Jarvis alanwench@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelley! I think I have a cassette somewhere from the first year the show was performed on the island. Regertfully, the VHS I had froze as I was trying to digitize it -- what is included here is one of the few complete musical numbers I was able to generate.

      Delete
    2. Hi there - the lyrics, "Red Shoes Are Too Pretty To Rot at the Bottom of the Sea" are from the song "Strip Off", a song that foretells the at-sea tragic loss of Burr's daughter Theodosia and her son. It was originally a part of the Revelation Ballet, that foretells the tragedies of the Blennerhassetts and Burrs.
      Yes, numerous soundtracks of Eden on the River exist.... of sorts. A cassette was made of some of the early songs of Eden, including most of those used in the Ohio University's 1974 Premiere of the musical. I also have a number of early cassettes of various people rehearsing the songs, or performing them during a show, or for early benefits that raised funds to bring Eden to the stage. Some were taped in our living room, some taped by professionals. And then there is one that is very special to me - though they all are - it is a cassette tape of my mother, sitting at the piano, solo, playing the early songs of Eden. She was asked to make this cassette so that the singers could more easily learn her often vocally difficult songs. It makes me smile, listening to her play, all those years ago, and I find myself laughing as I remember her telling me during such times she couldn't always quite recall exactly which note she composed for this lyric, or that. Listening to her play her own music brings her back to us....
      I'll see if I can get "Strip Off" posted here. Unfortunately, I don't always know who the singer is, nor the year it was taped. I've had most of the cassette tapes digitized, but unfortunately the sound quality isn't always the best.
      Laura
      Daughter of Genevieve Greene (Judy)
      Composer, "Eden on the River"
      San Diego, CA

      Delete
    3. This was a pleasant surprise. I learned about it at the Foundation meeting today. It's really nice to know that people still fondly remember the show. I hope you are well. I'm still kicking too. Lots of love to you and your family, Joyce

      Delete
  5. My father, Mark Owen Davis, did a couple of seasons on the island and then a couple more years when it moved to the Smoot Theater in Parkersburg. Our entire five-person family joined him on stage during the theater years. Great musical, and I have so many fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your dad well! How wonderful your whole family joined him on stage. I'm so glad you care about the musical, and have fond memories. That would mean so much to John Lee, the playwright, Genevieve Greene, the composer, both of whom have left us, and Joyce Ancrile, the lyricist, with whom I correspond now and then. Thank you so much for your post!

      Delete
  6. Do you recall a song that Aaron Burr sings to his grandson Gampy? I want to revisit it because I think it's a similar theme to Dear Theodosia. Wouldn't it be cool if Lin-Manuel Miranda stumbled upon Eden on the River in his research and was inspired by it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the song "Gampy"! I often listen to it. I'll see if I can post it here for you. Just keep in mind the quality of the original cassette is limited.
      Oh yes, it would definitely be FANTASTIC if Lin-Manuel Miranda crossed the path of the Blennerhassetts and Burrs here, and discovered the musical has already been written about Burr, at least covering a few of his post Vice President days.
      I should say multiple musicals - almost every year "Eden on the River" was edited, with new songs put in, old songs taken out, scripts tightened up and made shorter, etc. As an outdoor musical, certain things had to be taken into consideration, such as building a huge platform for Judy to direct from on high, and the fact that every night 3 peacocks (Margaret, Harmon, and Aaron?) landed on the chimney, often drowning out the overture with their own "songs". The orchestra had to be taped prior to the production- the instruments were too at risk to be outside with the river's high humidity. The excavated foundation and rebuilt mansion offered the exact spots where the Burrs and Blennerhassetts stood almost 200 years prior. The production returned us all to the beginning of our country, our states of West Virginia (Virginia in those years) and Ohio, and a moment in time that had a hand in our future.
      When the show had to be moved to the Smoot theater in Parkersburg, it was edited again to adapt it to an indoor theater setting. The final version is from 1994, as I recall, and can be still be produced. The songs that were removed from the original productions were set aside with the hope of one day writing a prequel. Sadly, it wasn't to be. But maybe one day another trio will come along and write the prequel's script and adapt the score and lyrics. Any takers?
      Eden, and all it's original scores and scripts, currently reside in my home. I have spent 20 years trying to make sure everything is preserved. As I said that, I just realized my husband and daughters have also lived with "Eden on the River" in their midst many years! Thankfully they love Eden too....
      Laura Greene
      Daughter of Genevieve Greene,
      Composer, "Eden on the River"
      San Diego, CA

      Delete
  7. I was Comfort Tyler in ‘89. Fun times.
    Michael Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun fact. The previous Comfort Tyler was a true bass but I’m a tenor. Judy reworked the song I sing for my range. Easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a marvel at just transposing on the spot! Ok, Comfort - are you ready to belt out "your" song for all of us?
      Laura

      Delete
  9. I was in the chorus as a tenor in Athens in 1976. What a labor of love as the original production was still being modified, sliced, diced and adjusted as we practiced. Like changing the wheels on the bus while it was moving.
    We performed to standing room audiences each night in a theatre in the round at Ohio Univ. Theatre Department.
    Quite an experience.
    I had one line in the play. Ha!
    I am glad I found this posting. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to visit the island again this year! Remarkable memories.

      Delete
  10. I played trumpet for what I believe may have been the premier of the show, Ohio University Summer Theater 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, The Ohio University production in 1974 was the world premiere of "Eden on the River". Naturally, I thought it was just terrific! But admittedly, the show was too long, and over the years it was tightened several times by the trio that created Eden. (John Lee, Genevieve Greene, & Joyce Ancrile.) Some of the melodies we heard (and whistled as we drove home) during that production were later set aside to be considered for a prequel in the future. the production was actually taped using Sony early video - a very fragile technology that is no longer in existence, and I know of only two places, in New York and in Los Angeles, that might be able to convert it to today's technology. For a small fortune, I should add. The problem is the tapes didn't last, and playing it could erase the entire production.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was in the play for 2 years on the island, I think 88 and 89. The first year I played Gampy and the second I was in the chorus. I had such a good time doing this as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were Gampy! That's incredible. I don't imagine they shared his fate with you when you were a child, it pretty tragic.

      Delete